Friday, June 27, 2008

Benefits of having a spontaneous mother.

Today, after dropping off the dog at the groomer for his annual hair chop, the kids and I decided to go for a bike ride.

Well, this bike ride turned into quite an event - We rode the B2B route from our house to Zingermans Deli in Kerry town and back. That ride is 17 miles. 17 miles that my awesome 7 year old completed. Without a peep of negativity or complaint he took the challenge on with the heart of a super trooper. The bean rode shotgun on my bike and also embraced the event with enthusiasm. She saw it as a good time to practice letters and sing rubber ducky (solo mind you - shhe nixed mom joining in the singing).

About half way through the ride home I was wondering if the monkey was hanging in ok. I stopped by St. Jo hospital for a break and decided to call my mom for a kid pick up and as soon as he heard what I was doing he hopped back on his bike and said he wanted to ride. He got his second wind.

He got a blister, another owie on the bottom of his other foot, scrapped his ankle on the petal and plowed on through it all.

He dropped his chain on the path behind my neighborhood. He said that it was a nice break. I tried to fix it then two nice ladies were walking by and they stopped to help.

It was a good day. The dog is lookin' good. Sam is feeling enormously accomplished. So am I and the only bad part was the sunburn on my shoulders from not expecting to be riding for 3.5 hours. Whoops :)

4 comments:

Ypsipearl said...

Fantastic! If only I'd have known, I'd have had you pick up some lime syrup and olive/lemon oil for me. The other benefit of spontaneity, not having someone else's shopping list when you end up at Zingermans.

Anonymous said...

wow. that ride rocks--you all did great. Sam when you are an older guy you have a terrific memory to share--you road 17 miles when you were only seven!
excellent, excellent!

Andre said...

That's freaking awesome.

sheSaidC2 said...

You guys ROCK! He's pretty awesome to have done all of that.