Friday, July 13, 2007

MARBLES!!

My grandmother was the marbles champion of Minnesota when she was a young girl. I remember growing up and admiring the plastic trophy she displayed in her living room with the winning marble in it still. She and I would play in on her floor at family gatherings. I have two boy cousins and my brother so often I was left with nothing to do.
The kids and I went and had lunch with my grandparents, who are 90 and 87 now. I asked my grandmother what the rules of marbles were and she could not remember. I really want to teach Sam so here is what I found.
ANYONE UP FOR A NIGHT OF MARBLES AND BEER? (I need practice too)
(and yes, there is a for real competitive tournament http://marbles-american.org/default.htm)

AMERICAN MARBLES RINGER RULES

1 comment:

Kim said...

that is great about your grandmother, honestly i did not know that marbles had been so popular. i would have been proud to see that trophy too!