Friday, February 27, 2009

Going Home

Going to Julies last night was like going home. We had a garden meeting with much wine and lovely conversation.

This year it will be three families going in on the plot and the best part is that the two other families I adore with all my heart. It really felt like we were having an meeting of extended family last night. I was feeling so wonderful when I got home. To do projects like this with folks you love nothing could be better.

So there is the garden plot, the melons and squashes spot, butterfly garden, an herb garden, sunflowers, maybe even some amaranth on the drawing board. Also getting the pond ready for swimming - that is for the man with the waders.

We wandered through the beautiful seed catalogs dreaming of heirloom and rare varieties. We talked of road side stands, maybe bees to make mead (for big daddy), camping sites off in the woods, chickens (even pickled eggs), compost piles, cherry liquor, canned peaches and pears from the property, the FROG FEST in September and so much more. Some will happen this year and others someday down the line.

There is so much to look forward to - good people, good food and good work.

We also decided to go in on a quarter cow for the year and are looking to split a pig with one of the other families if we can find someone with an extra pig that they are raising. I need to call Old Pine Farms in Grass Lake to see if they have anything. Big daddy mentioned at one point maybe hunting this fall so that would get us venison and summer sausage. I have also been day dreaming of doing something with dear skin. So buying a freezer is in order in the near future which will motivate me to really clean out the garage (again).

In our own home we are hoping to have a worm compost system going soon. One of the books we have says that 70% of all first time worm bins fail and oddly that makes me feel better about attempting it. I would also like to get a three bin system going in the back yard - we have a lot of organic output here so i think more than one system would be good.

And today is Calder Dairy delivery day. I get to see Stan the delivery man.
"No butter or sour cream today please but what do you have for ice cream....oh and do you have eggs?"
"We only have Vanilla and do you want brown or white eggs?"
"Vanilla is great and brown please?"
"How are you doing?"
"Doing good. What are you up to today?"
"Getting ready to go to Chicago"
"Really what are you doing there"
"Taking a girls trip. Going to the American Girl store and the Aquarium"
"Oh, I have been to that Aquarium. It is great there."
"You just going for the night?"
"No, the whole weekend."
"Well have a great time and I will see you next week. You can tell me how your trip went"
"Thanks. See you next week. Take care."

I love chatting with my dairy guy. It makes me happy about my food.

4 comments:

birdy.j said...

This was such a lovely post to read. I *felt* your passion and love for the earth and gardening and community. Best wishes on the new creation! It sounds amazing!!

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

I've got some happy worms that have been doing their work under my kitchen sink for a couple of years. I'm happy to share, if you are looking for a starter group. We got them at Earth Day at the Botanical Gardens three years ago.

Kate said...

hey g, that would be great. more motivation to get the ball rolling!

Kim said...

i was having little house flash backs while reading your post. love it, and a little jealous. someday, someday soon. love you :)