Friday, August 03, 2007

Another reason I homeschool...plastic baggies

The monkey has been in camp from 9-5 since Monday. It has been nice to have time alone with the bean although i have been sick as a dog and working every night.

It has been a real test thought, well maybe a trial, of what it would be like if the monkey were in school. I think I would hate it. As he is realizing how much he likes being home with me.

But the kicker is- I can not get these kids up and out of the house fed and ready to go on time to get to camp. When we were driving the teacher (because her car broke down) we of course were very early. But since she got her car back we have been 5-10 minutes late every day. It sucks having to be so functional every morning. lol.

Also the whole packed lunch thing makes me cuckoo. Kim sent me a link to the Laptop Lunches news letter which was perfect timing, she must have read my mind, because the number of plastic baggies i have used in the past week makes me uncomfortable. And trying to come up with variety for lunches that I pack after I get home from work at 10-11pm before I crash into bed just is not good. The little bugger also avoids eating any veggies I put in there....and he likes carrots. He did love the bean, salsa, avocado dip though. Ham sandwich ...not so much. So he has had a lot of sunflower butter and jelly sandwiches. Which on another off note makes me nervous him having so much gluten products with Celiac running in Donns family. Between eating a bfast bar in the car, sandwich cookies and crackers for lunch and who knows what for dinner. Most likely we are fine but I dread the idea of becoming a gluten free family. There was a scare there for a bit when Donn because allergic to eggs.

Most of all though I miss my monkey. He is crazy but that is what makes the days with him interesting. I think this is going to be a good year. I am going to try to do my own curriculum, using bit and pieces of things here and there. We will be using the book The Story of the World series starting this year. This link is also really helpful as to what I should be covering this year and resources for how to go about it. Donn is going to pick up some of the animal stuff with homeschooling at night while I am working. The bean is also old enough to work with us this year, last year was hard with her being two. Next year will be even better for her.

All in all this camp is great for a break from the monkey. For the monkey to get a break from us. But mostly to affirm that we really are doing what is right for us. It is not for everybody but we really like it and it works for our family. I am not saying it isn't insane and hard especially with Donn and I both working but it is where we want to be.

1 comment:

Kim said...

kate, i am inspired by reading your words about homeschooling. i was hoping that was something that i would be able to do, but something else was in store for me.

so i will live vicariously thru your words and learn.