Thursday, August 02, 2007

Recycling

I have always found great joy in recycling.

My new goal is to minimize the amount of non-recyclable trash. The Ann Arbor recycling center takes a few more items than our fair city. My approach is to set up different bins in the garage for everything from mixed paper- junk mail, used paper etc., Styrofoam- take away containers, packaging, etc., plastic bags (we have too many of those), corrugated cardboard, batteries, light bulbs, egg cartons, and so much more!

I would like to get down to one small bin of non-recyclable trash for our family of five per week.

We are also working towards converting all our house lighting to eco-friendly energy efficient light bulbs.

We are also going to be purchasing terra passes for our cars www.terrapass.com My car puts out over 18,000 lbs. of CO2 a year. Ouch!

Another small thing is taking the kids on garbage pick up walks. Thanks to our neighbor Michelle as inspiration.

I will post my progress on the garbage challenge.

1 comment:

frog said...

Cool! I'm going to want to see your garage set-up, so brace yourself.

I know you haven't been feeling well--if you need anything, just knock. Or call.