Monday, August 06, 2007

Recovery

This weekend was like someone hit the fast forwards button. Here it is as it was:

Friday night I went up to read some HP. Mum comes up just before I was thinking of going to sleep and informs me that there is h2o in the basement again. I went down to check it out and try and help. Got on the phone with my heating and cooling friend (who put in the furnace and A/C on this house) and bribed him with sweet talking and a massage to come out from about an hour away to look at it for us in the morning. that night mum and I pulled up carpet, tried to dry it as much as possible but it was eventually time to just go to sleep. Mum had had a 80 hour week on about 3/4 hours sleep a night and she had to go in to work again Saturday morning. When it rains it pours. I felt really bad for her.

Saturday:
Woke up, made coffee, fed kids, showered, got a call from my doula client who was in early labor, buzzed around to get ready for my 10AM massage who showed up at 9:30AM. My heating & cooling friend showed just as she was getting off the table. He fixed the A/C as I was scheduling a meeting for 12:30pm for the last part of the dreaded (but really good fund raiser for the center) cookbook. Got my friend on the table and as soon as I finished with him my meeting showed up. Got another call form client- ditched my meeting at my house (they grabbed pics of my pooter for the project) and went to clients house. She was doing wonderful for a woman in labor. Jetted home after about 45 minutes to grab stuff for her and wrap up the meeting I was not at. Went back to client and labored with her at home and at the hospital until about 1:30 when baby was born (They did AWESOME!!! It was a beautiful birth.)
Sunday:
Baby born @ 1:30AM I leave 3:30AM. Two blocks from my bed in my house my phone rings. My other clients went into labor at about 1:30 AM. They were to get her in the tub to rest a bit. I went home emailed the center, at which I was to teach the next day, to inform her that I may not be there. (i really wanted to be there). Brush teeth go to hop in bed- Donn is in my spot, the bean is in his spot so I kick the dog out of her bed and sleep in the beans bed. The thought of the upcoming phone call made it difficult to fall asleep and just as I did at 5AM the phone rings. Off I go the birth. A bit hit at this moment. (All nighters are no big deal but back to back made the witching hour harder- the witching hour for me int his work is 4AM-7Am) Got to their house and they were doing great. In their groove and she was working hard. Labored at home with them and at the hospital and the baby arrived at noon. (another AWESOME BIRTH! )My class started at 1PM so I was doing good but I didn't have my car, it was at the clients house. So after all was done with the birth and the family was settled. A friend helped by picking me up and taking me to my car. Got to the center by 2:30-3ish (the class went until 5pm). we swapped out teachers and I was able to teach the last part of the class. Picked up chinese on the way home for the family and had a small going away party at our hose for our neighbors that are moving today. Put the kids to bed. Read the first chapter of the next Indian in the cupboard books and picked up my HP. Got though about a page before I passed out at 9:30pm.

It was all good and I have two births down for the month. I was not really sleepy except Sunday when I first got to my clients home. I don't know what it is about that time of day for my birth work but it is my down time. Both birth experiences with the midwives at the hospital were optimal. Really great. I am feeling good about things.

Also I am glad I made it to teaching. I am finally starting to get my groove. I got a great email from someone in my former classes- she wants to see me to see the baby and talk about the birth. She emphasized how she felt that the classes really made a difference to her. I love working with birth in this capacity.

The only bummer was that I did not get to hang out with the monkey this weekend. It feels like it has been forever since I have seen him between being out of town then him being in camp, which he has also this week. I miss the crazy monkey.

Also I remember how wonderful my husband is for when we get crazy days like these. He picks up the ball without flinching. He is awesome and always has been. And today is his last day of school for the semester!!! Two weeks off then back to the books but two weeks off! Maybe I will have a blip of off call time to get out of town with him for a night. I hope so.

1 comment:

Christa said...

omg Kate....do you ralize how much you packed into 2 (or was it 3?) days? Jeesh woman, you're amazing!