Thursday, October 25, 2007

Today is a new day. And that damn Ego.

I taught interventions in my childbirth ed. classes last night. It is a hard two and a half hours to see the light bulbs go off and the fear and shock grow on their faces like trapped animals. Luckily the next two weeks of class helps empower and relieve all that yucky stuff.

I would like to sit in on other childbirth ed. classes that cater to the epidural crowd. What do they teach? Or are they as honest as me but all the attending couples so stuck in fear they have their ear muffs on that they cannot even hear the alternative of trying to do it without getting hte epidural in the parking lot.

So, I have been having my ego struggle lately. The problem with having midwives as friends is the ever feeling not cool enough. The "I'm just a childbirth educator" or "I am just a doula". Intellectually I know that what I do is very important. I fill a huge gap that our culture has in the reproductive years. I love thinking about it and with the kid of work I do I can reach a lot of people and get them to look at things different so maybe they will hire a doula or have a midwife attended birth at the hospital or at home for their normal healthy pregnancy. Giving them confidence in their bodies and their ability to get through birth. BUT my ego sneaks in and whispers "but your not a midwife." Damn you little monster in my head. Intellectually I know I do not want to be a midwife right now and honestly I do not know what the future will hold for me. My husband is working full time and in school full time (so freaking cool! and i am so proud of him). I do want to stay home and homeschool my kids for now (although many think i am crazy). My "career" can come later (whatever that may be) and I am ok with that but that damn ego. Maybe my path is to train women to be doulas, or get into academics, or to follow my husband all over the world while he studies rare new species.

Honestly I was looking at jewelers benches on line last night. I will stay in birth work but I want balance back. For balance I need time. I want to play with fire and metal and create again.

Right now I just need some Daily Affirmations with Stuart Smiley.

2 comments:

sheSaidC2 said...

I think about you nearly daily esp. last night as we were headed down town for the halloween stuff, and I almost never think about my midwife. Granted our midwife experiance was a little more along the traditional medicine route than other midwife experiences. But YOU have had a bigger impact on our lives than she did, and we really liked her. Also funny story heSaid and I were talking about my 'career and life choices' and although we have very different fields I thought that your balance between career and family was pretty darn perfect and a much better role model than others in my life :)

but I too have a wicked little ego that always tells me I am not cool enough... it's hard to shut it up.

Christa said...

I have a little ego problem too, but mine tells me I'm not cool enough to hang out with Kate.
I wish I could do some of the things you do!