Thursday, January 31, 2008

built for this work

it has been an insane week and i have not made it to the fitness center since sunday but plan on going tonight. the only thing that is saving me from guilt was the birth i attended two days ago. it was a doula job but a homebirth. it was with a midwife i really like working with and a second time mama.

this mama once she started cookin' was amazing. following her body into some great sweeping movements from dangling to squatting to rocking back and forth. she moaned, she screamed, she growled she let it all go. i was in the role of physical support of which she demanded everything she needed from me. it was one of those moments in this work that she and i were both thankful i am about 6 feet tall and 200 lbs. being a counter weight to a very mobile laboring mom is no easy task. i am happy to say i got out of it with no big back issues but some definitely sore muscles.

1 comment:

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

Yes, yes. I finally have a chiropractor who is a big woman and it really helps. I'm not small myself and I'm flexible -- my last chiropractor, a tiny, round guy, had to jump up and down on me and even then he often just couldn't get the leverage needed to get the adjustment. Having someone who can get her arms around me and use her weight to push and pull me is excellent.