Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Day of Other People Schooling My Kids

One thing that is brought up occasionally about homeschooling is "Shouldn't your kids get exposure to other people teaching them? For other opinions and experiences..... something outside those of the parents. To diversify their education." My answer - Absolutely!

Other than the fact that it happens all the time in unorganized ways here are just two examples of community homeschooling.


This is RM in her delightfully colorful home teaching science from Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr. Bernard Nebel. I get to teach the next session..whoohoo! Today they were playing around with the concept of liquid, solids and gases. This was more for the younger kids but Monkey thought he would join on the fun in too. It was all fun and games until after the lesson they started blowing up the balloons up and letting them fly all over the room and after awhile the balloon just became a vehicle for spraying spit all over the room.


Then it was off to Dungeons and Dragons at L's house. She leads this group and I am so thankful to her. She is wonderful! Monkey looks forward to D&D every week. It helps with math, history, geography, imagination, teamwork, and even writing poetry.

Off topic: I also wanted to share my off the hip review session while making lunch two days ago. I was whipping up some macaroni and cheese when Monkey and his friend walked in. I started asking about the continents that we had been learning and then I moved into the earth. On a whim I grabbed a chop stick and stabbed a nearby potato. The kids were a little shocked by my sudden movement. Then I grabbed a sharpie marker and drew line on it.


I proceeded to ask about the hemispheres, axis, equator, seasons and the tilt of the axis, rotation around axis, rotation around the earth - all this revolving around an IKEA kids cup.

(in the background you see writing on the wall. we have lived in our house for almost five years and the family has never been painted and half the wall paper is still on the wall. i have resigned to the fact that it will never get painted so i have started to write on it. in the background is a brief synopsis of the precambrian and cambrian period)

No comments: