Saturday, September 05, 2009

Drinking the Kool-Aid

Tomorrow morning I will be drinking the Kool-Aid.

Tomorrow morning I will be joining the First Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Ann Arbor.

I, the usually non-joiner type, will be joining.

I have not even joined my local Ypsilanti Coop because it is just too much.

But tomorrow I join the UUAA.

This is a decision I have been mulling around for quite a bit. I started attending the AAUU three years ago. The first year I lurked. The second year I joined a chalice circle of women I already knew. The third year I went to the Women's Retreat and joined a book club of the same ladies I knew (it was kind of a morph from the chalice circle) and took the Introduction to UU class. The fourth year I am joining. Also in this fourth year I will be co-teaching the OWL class for either graders. The OWL is Our Whole Lives . This was the motivation for me to take that final step and sign the book. They want all teachers to have a commitment to the UU. So I drink the Kool-Aid.

I am a pretty roll wtih the flow kind of gal (with intense moments) and I didn't think much of my procrastination of this last step or the quick decision to take this last step until two days ago, a few days after I had made arrangments to sing the book this Sunday.

I am surprisingly excited and proud to be joining. I am really trying to allow myself to really appretiate it for the meaningful moment it is to me. Very regularly I will down play moments like this and others things like my graduations and wedding, not wanting too much of a fuss. So I am really trying to let go of that tendency and embrace it as something really neat-o.

So, over the lips and through the gums watch out tummy here it comes!

No comments: