Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Work and Homeschool

Everyday I try to do the best I can with what I have and much of the time I feel I fall short but that is the curse of parenting for me. I just can't seem to shake it.

As a homeschooling and working parent there just doesn't seem to be enough time to catch up and figure out what the heck I am doing. Along with that is the guilt that any free time I may get I should be planning, cleaning, or working. Breath and let it go Kate.....
~~~
I cannot homeschool 5 days a week. Mondays are especially poopy since I leave for as early as 1pm depending on when my appointments are and I do not get home until 9:30pm. I am still working on reliable childcare for the kids on Monday, right now I am flying by the seat of my pants and gracious friends. Tuesday and Wednesday evening I also work and every other Thursday and some times on the weekends.

We are in a reassessment stage post the first week.

I must admit this happens every year and in the past we have degraded (or upgraded) to unschooling. This year I am trying to find a nice place in between.

This may be obvious to most of you but I took me a bit to figure out that just becasue I have a 5 day curriculum does not mean I have to homeschool 5 days a week. With this new information we are going to try 3 days a week and see how it goes. I am thinking of this as a unschool/homeschool hybrid. This also will offer us some flexibility in our week.

For example today I am watching a friends child starting at 9am to 1pm which is prime homeschool time. Today we are not going to homeschool but we will Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. While the Monkey is playing the bean and I will be busting out her sewing machine and whipping up......something.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Good luck, Kate! This work/life balance is hard. We're still figuring it out. Meanwhile, I can recommend an excellent babysitter.