Monday, September 21, 2009

Pantry Cooking: Black Bean Goodness


Pantry cooking is the art of being able to make something amazing out of random ingredients found in the pantry or refrigerator. As a habit I put off grocery shopping until we are really down to the bare bones. My family is not fond of this strategy but it keeps down the grocery bill.

Today's Pantry Fare is some Black Bean Goodness:
(I do not use measuring utensils when cooking so I will guestimate the best I can)

In a small sauce pan warm up a bit of (2Tbs. - ish) olive oil. Add more if you feel like it needs it. Take 2 small cooking onions and chop up. Toss in oil on medium low heat. Stir up occasionally. Cook until a wee bit brown. Add one can of drained and washed black beans. Add 4-6 Tbs chopped roasted red pepper. Add a dump of (1 Tbs.) cumin. Stir it up and serve this yummy goodness with a side of chicken, watermelon and two slices of bacon for desert.

3 comments:

Betsie said...

First, that picture of Ella is way too funny! I'm almost in tears! Second, I think it's funny that you posted this today, because we had Chicken Tortilla soup for dinner and it looks very similar to your dish! Great minds think alike you know :o) Got anymore yummy fall recipes?

Jen said...

love the bacon desert!

Carol said...

Bacon for dessert, har! Love the pantry cooking ideas. I've been trying it but am not so good with extemporaneous cooking. But I love me some black beans. And bacon. Of course.