Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Mater's


Oh the year of the tomato.

I still have a fear of canning tomatoes so it has mostly been a lot of freezing and salsa and Tomato Glut (which is awesome ~ it is the perfect hamburger helper!)

This week though I came across the mother of all tomato recipe's thanks to one Monica P. It is the recipe for Tomato Jam. YUM!

It is as follows:
what i used:
• 1 pound tomatoes
• 1 cup sugar... Read More
• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/8 broken stick cinnamon
• 7 whole cloves
• 1/4 tsp whole allspice

what i'm doing:
• Wash, peel and cut tomatoes.
• Put them in a saucepan and add vinegar, cloves, allspice, sugar and cinnamon.
• Simmer, till thick, keep stirring.

-------

I made 4pound of tomatoes and it took quite awhile for it to boil down but patience is a virtue and
damn worth it. Holy mother of Pete is all i have been able to say all day. I have one jar in the fridge and three in the freezer. I will be looking for more tomatoes soon because I want to be stocked all winter on this deliciousness!

Here is the best find of the day. 10 frozen bananas in my freezer which ended up being a triple batch of banana bread. Take the banana bread and goober on that lovely tomato jam, add a side of a wonderful medium sharp cheddar and you have found heaven in your mouth.

Culinary Genius!

No comments: